Lgi Homes - Brand New LGI home has way too many problems

170 of 246 Lgi Homes reviews

We moved in 11 April 2014. LOVED our house although there were several things that were mentioned at our punch list that were flat out ignored (still, to this day they are ignored). The entire 2nd story was uneven, creaked all over, and was like walking through a fun house. It took them 6 weeks to get it fixed (oh, and it's still not completely fixed), and that's only after I contacted corporate. I have submitted items that have been structural issues that were pointed out during the walk through (as well as other items, like..... we can't remove our stove because either the cabinets or granite is too tight to remove it...). Since our street name in Jarrell, TX is so strange, we weren't able to put in a claim through the online warranty for MONTHS. (I was finally able to log in and submit like 30 claims, which was supposed to be completed by 20 August 14. It's 24 September, and 1/2 of them are still there. 1/4 have been fixed...... several have disappeared off the warranty list. Since I trusted LGI to maintain the records in the "completed" section, I stupidly didn't print it out.) After repeated phone calls and texts to the construction manager (all of which were ignored) I contacted LGI directly through private message on Facebook. Within hours I received a returned phone call and the next day they were out to fix our upstairs. Our entire 2nd floor. In the 5 bedroom with a loft. All subfloors needed to be fixed. They're still not fixed completely. I grew up in Ohio and I've been in 100 year old farmhouses (that have basements, instead of just sitting on foundation) that don't have these issues.

Other structural issues include a 1/2 wall that is loose in the loft that needs reinforced. Crumbling foundation all around the house. Then my absolute favorite of all time! You better sit down because I'm sure you'll be as surprised as I was. (or maybe not, you are here, after all). Our tub (which was broken, and pointed out and claims submitted too many times to count) was finally removed yesterday in order to be replaced. I went in our master bathroom to check out what the walls looked like (because EVERYONE in this neighborhood seem to have multiple issues of some sort with their LGI homes) and I found A HOLE! A hole where the wall/foundation is. There was sunlight coming in the hole. If you know anything about Central Texas you know there are mice. Snakes like mice. We have rattlesnakes. Just keep that in mind....

So I take the pictures of the hole and text it to our construction manager. Because a hole to the outside of the house FROM the inside of the house is kinda a big deal. We had torrential rains last week from the Hurricane that hit this Pacific coast. How do I know that the insulation by the hole won't mold out? My 9 year old is severely allergic to mold. Everything else at or near the ground, all the way up to 1/2 of our front door was soaked because of the wind and rain. We had flash flood warnings. We had like......6ish inches total.

Anyway, back to the hole in the wall story. An hour or so later, my husband calls the construction manager. By now the plumber has the new tub sitting in place, and is trying to sauder it. I asked about the hole and he said that someone should have taken care of that (yeah, duh, ya think?). He was really nice and tried to help. Sprayed some hard foam up the exterior walls trying to get it under the siding to plug a hole that he can't see from the outside because it's covered by siding (which the foam looks like ***), but at least he tried. He acknowledged the problem (IDK if he would have if I wouldn't have brought it up.)

Evening comes and we KNOW that we won't hear from the construction manager. Ok, hopefully the foam worked in the hole.

So we lay down and I keep hearing something. I kept turning the flashlight on my phone on and searching around the room. Couldn't see anything. I thought maybe our dog was in our room (which is not normal). I hear it again and again and again. FINALLY I see it. A baby mouse. It's trying to get out of a box we have sitting on the floor (and we still have boxes of stuff not put away because there's so much that LGI has to fix we still aren't completely "moved in"). So I slowly remove the items from the box and take it outside so the baby mouse can run away. No big deal. Now, I had taken an ambien and when I started hearing more noises, I thought that I must be 1/2 asleep or hallucinating or something (since it was now 1 1/2 hours after I took it). Turn my flashlight on over and over again. I see nothing. THEN, there it is, with it's beady little eyes looking at me. A (cute if they're outside, not in my house) itty bitty baby mouse. Ok, that's 2 mice, but, oh no, we weren't so lucky this time, because it got away. IT GOT AWAY! AT MIDNIGHT. So now my husband and I are ripping the room apart trying to find it. Turning over boxes, which obviously makes great hiding places for baby mice. I text my friend who brought over some traps because now I'm just freaked out. If MICE can get it, what's next? Rattlesnakes eat mice, and there are plenty of them here right now. Since we are a new community it's stirring them up.... at 1 am I send another text message to the construction manager showing him that because of the hole, we now have MICE coming in. We know where they're coming in (behind the tub, where the hole is) because one of them fell into the bath tub. Total count as of right now, 10:45am, is 4 baby mice and 1 mommy mouse. What should I expect next? A rattle snake to come up through that hole and slither into bed with us?

The construction manager has driven past our house twice this morning without stopping. Without calling and without even acknowledging that this house has MAJOR issues that they need to deal with. You know how I know he has driven by? Because I'm typing this out on the computer in the office that sits over our garage. I've watched him. My husband (the calmer one) has tried to be civil. Me, not so much. Next stop for me is to once again send LGI a facebook message with pictures, and for me to contact the news. People in Central Texas need to know what is happening in Sonterra before they come buy here with LGI. I want the siding taken off of my house so they can expose any more structural issues that they need to fix. I want to make this a HOME! I can't do that as long as walls are bowed out, floors are uneven, the ceiling shows all the lines of drywall, they have to cut (or fix) sheetrock and drywall. They have to fix the tile, or the carpet, or the WALLS or the crumbling foundation around the outside. Pretty much everything in this house has had to be fixed. From the subfloor to the garage, and apparently they will need to fix the outside walls as well.

Oh, and instead of closing out claims that have been completed (there's a tab for completed claims) they have been erased. Even some that have not been completed have been erased. This is supposed to be a way to stay on track and know what you have submitted, and what was done. Instead, they're just being erased. So you have no paper trail. Shady shady.

As I type this, he just drove by again. That's 3 times. Still no contact. If you're reading this from LGI, you know who I am, feel free to tell me how you're going to make this right. Wait wait, that's 4 times. He just drove by again.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Reason of review:
ALL of the above
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Construction Defects
Review category
Home Construction and Repair
review #538046 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Lgi Homes? Submit review ›
Helpful? 50 Yes 50 6 No 6
Had the same issue 30 Yes 30
170 of 246 Lgi Homes reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Bwein

Jul 30 #1192574 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Write on a big sign, on both sides.
L G T MAN THIS DIRECTION!! PUT AN ARROW
towards your house. Let's see if he pulls up. lol

Mar 19 #1130547

Good Luck we have been having issues with Project manager ignoring us as well. Only way I got anything done was call his boss. And even then the repair work is barely better then the work that was done first time around. Very dissatisfied with Project managers and the after sales service . Or should I say the lack of it. I like my home, but did not expect such *** workmanship from a brand new home. Very dissapointed.

Jan 22 #1099246

Thank you for posting this! Please consider using Twitter to let others know about this horrific company. More people like YOU need to speak out. Once again, thank you! Use all social media you can to get the word out. It's awful that greedy people prey on the middle class who are trying to make a decent living and create homes for our families

2 0 Reply
DJ Andre 7

Aug 28, 2015 #1026119 Allen, Texas, United States

@shayanddavid
Any updates? I'm dying to hear from you guys!!
Also, where did the water from the tub go? Has that been fixed?

Aug 31, 2015 #1027523 Jarrell, Texas, United States

Our update:
Nothing was done with several original punch list items..... or items that came up because of the work that was done. So many things were left undone, and at 1 year I was handed a paper and basically told that they did us a favor by fixing anything. Almost all of our items were on the original punch list.
I will NEVER recommend this home builder. I believe there are other areas in our house that do not have insulation on outside walls. We already discovered (and they fixed) the walls behind the showers that didn't have insultion. Pretty sure that's some sort of broken contract since they told us the entire outside walls of the home were insulated..... they absolutely were not.
We have footprints in our tub, on our carpet (still) and a broken light dome in our master. These things were done during the renovations, and should have been taken care of. They, however, were not.
So there you go. We were basically drug through the mud. In my opinion they ignored us and our neighnors until we either gave up or our one year arrived. The only way to get the ball rolling was to contact them on Facebook. Our house was built horribly, and all we ever got were excuses and broken promises. I'm not sure what the point is of a punch list walk through when they do not take your concerns seriously. I'm actually shocked that the VA approved our house. As a 100% service connected veteran, I feel like we were taken advantage of.
That's our update. They did fix some
... Show more

DJ Andre 7

Aug 28, 2015 #1026114 Allen, Texas, United States

Hahahhaa! Omg! My Girlfriend and I looked at 2 communities in TX. Castle Hills and Forney... Both appeared nice, but the sales staff just didn't seem right. I can't believe this happened to you guys! That is cray! We looked at that same 5 bedroom floorplan, too! Ugh... these people are Shady for sure!

Jun 30, 2015 #1001709

Hello Jarrell LGI Home owners, I too have been fooled by LGI and after a year, still have issues no one will address.. I would like to gather everyone together that are having issues to file a suit. If you are interested please email me. LzSearch@hotmail.com
We can only win in numbers. Please pass this info on to your friends and neighbors in the Jarrell Community.

ERICANDANN

Feb 07, 2015 #942392 Jarrell, Texas, United States

We should all get together and find out how we can get all these issues fixed. I just bought a 2 story at J.E.Brown lane near the LGI office. They forgot to install the pest control systems. My heating bill was $350 last month due to the front door does not seal nor the back door. So the heater, even set at 68 keeps kicking on. The heating system does not have a dampener as it should to adjust the heat top and bottom. I have had a lock at the back door that can't be keyed, and been told 3 times by the construction manager, I will bring a new one right over. No lock. I have knock-down on my drywall that looks like ***, like someone put silicone lines down it or something. When they messed up and had to move the door from the living room to the dining as it should be, the drywall guys found a friggin dos xx bottle in the wall. I have had to repair my fence myself as the ones who stuck it up were drunk off their butts. Stop buy anytime on the weekends. I think a class action law suit with everyone's issues would probably fix the issue. It would halt their speedy put up of new houses, which means loss of revenue. ***, we finally tried to clean our master bath tub and found it scratched, and the feet prints left by the workers won't come out.

4 0 Reply
builder

Apr 03, 2015 #967333 Omaha, Nebraska, United States

I doubt your heater bill cost could be that much unless they put in the cheapest in efficient unit possible. Not sure who's at fault there. They probably have models with the units and the efficient rating still on them. I would say the attic isn't insulated but no way a door not sealing would cause bills like that. In Nebraska we getbtemps as low as -1 and wind chills of -15 and my highest bill, 3,000 sq ft 2 story was 210. I am a builder but we didn't do the top of the line windows and furnace is only 92% effic.

0 1 Reply

Feb 06, 2015 #941999 Jarrell, Texas, United States

Just an update. It is Feb 6, 2015. Our construction manager and his boss walked through our house with me and my husband last week. We were assured that ALL problems (same problems..... They've never been fixed) would be finished in 2 days. That would be last Thursday and last Friday. Large crews would be in side by side, back to back. We were assured! That has not happened at ALL. We are now 9 days in and there have been "crews" of 1-2 people staggering in, leaving things 1/2 done. We still have the hole in our tile. Our construction manager and his boss are not really answering any of our questions or concerns. The last time they tried to fix a subfloor issue they left a hole in the subfloor. It was immediately covered by carpet. However, since carpet is being pulled back up, I checked it out, and it is actually a hole in the plywood/subfloor. I will continue to update this as it continues.

6 0 Reply
Henry

Nov 28, 2014 #907482 Dallas, Texas, United States

If you have neighbors with the same problem, take it to the Media as a group!
If not, take it to the Media yourself with all documentation.
Really put the folks delying repairs on the hot seat!
In the future, though, ALL cunsumers should have a home inspection along with a Structural Engineers Report done prior to closing.
AND, do NOT close if there are unresolved issues!

5 0 Reply

Oct 25, 2014 #890658 Jarrell, Texas, United States

Master bathroom was finished yesterday. Today I went in and did a good scrub down. Filled the tub with water to let it soak. There was a ton of dust from all the drywall that finally got finished yesterday (for the 2nd time)
Slowly the tub let out water. No biggie, I thought the drain plug looked like it didn't quite fit correctly anyway.
Fast forward a few hours. My husband walks into our garage. Water is all over the garage floor. All over the stuff that we cannot bring UPSTAIRS because the subfloor isn't level. So, while the tub was slowly letting out water, it was either leaking out of the regular tub, or the drain was leaking. I don't know which one, but for the 3rd time our sheetrock/drywall will have to be ripped out and this will have to be fixed. ALSO, the garage drywall will have to be ripped out and fixed. Our wall in our bathroom has been open for over a month. I have a child with severe allergies and asthma. All this renovation has made her allergies and asthma act up even more.
Tile people blew us off at least 5 times. Last time they finally showed up..... with the wrong tile. The construction manager was being very helpful with them.
We have been told that we will need to now deal with the VP of construction because I said we are about to contact an attorney. New houses are going up and ours still isn't fixed. I bet at least 20 houses have been built since we've been dealing with the issues not getting fixed in this one!

3 0 Reply

Oct 20, 2014 #887448

Wow we were suppose to go see homes for the past two weeks but just haven't been able to but now I'm scared to!

Oct 11, 2014 #883418 Jarrell, Texas, United States

It is now October 11th. The only thing that has been completed is the perimeter of the outside of the house. They took off the bottom siding on 3 sides and there were holes about every 2 feet. The black liner was also not taped down at all. Wonder how many bugs/animals etc made it into our home. They also blew in insulation behind the master shower and the upstairs tub.
Our bathtub was installed but it isn't level so the water doesn't drain all the way. Trim still isn't finished. Twice I have been stood up by carpet and tile people. They said they came but I wasn't here. I have been here both times. I would have the guy that did the bathtub re-level it, but he quit so I can't.
We are now going to be pulling records from code compliance and having an inspector come in. Our subfloor upstairs still isn't right. The tub guy put BLOOD on our tub. He never cleaned it.
We are going to have an inspector go through the house and check out if anything matches code compliance issues. The manager will not return my husband's calls. We've been beyond patient. We closed 6 months ago today. They've had plenty of time to get things done. I will continue to update.

4 0 Reply
Ronnie

Oct 02, 2014 #879035

Wow... I was about to purchase one of the LGI homes when my mind said to check reviews before you do that. Thanks for your review. I guess I will look elswhere to purchase my home... Sorry they are that way and thanks for helping me, I can't
imagine your grief.

9 0 Reply

Sep 25, 2014 #875118 Jarrell, Texas, United States

I would like to say that after I wrote this review I was contacted directly and explained how everything is going to be made right within a week. I will continue to update this as needed. The Construction Manager did apologize and did say it was unacceptable. I appreciate him taking responsibility for how things have been handled thus far in regards to our house being fixed.

7 0 Reply
Victoria

Feb 21, 2015 #948781

How are things now, ShayandDavid?
I'm so curious if your issues have been resolved, how long it took, etc.
What a drama you had with your home; wow! I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Please update if you can; thanks!

3 0 Reply

Mar 18, 2015 #960237 Jarrell, Texas, United States

Hi Victoria,
*most* of our issues have been completed in the last few weeks. We still have outstanding issues, and we are about 3 weeks from our 1 year mark. Hopefully things will be completed by the end of this week (fingers crossed)

2 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.