Houston, Texas
4.5K views

i have been looking into buying a LGI home in Pearland, TX. The staff is nice but they will NOT let you look at home unless you give them earnest money.

Yes $500.00! I would like to at least see what I am getting before I put my money up. I have a appt to go back w/ my money and at that time I can view a home. I even called my rep and ask "can i see a home so I will know if thats what i want or even like the home before i give up my money" i was told by rep wait until your appt.

Well i will go to my appt so i can see the homes before i rule them out but I am not giving up any money until i see a home and if i cant they just lost my business... 7/10/2011

Product or Service Mentioned: Lgi Homes Sales Representative.

Comments

#1200052

Anyone anything on Trails at Seabourne? I have driven by at night.

Sure do seem to be lots of cars..for one house. I want to go by in the Weekend at night. I want a good first home. I work in construction but don't have time to sit and babysit.

I made an appointment already now debating whether to keep it.

#1198146

I just took a tour of the LGI homes without putting down any earnest money. Not sure why they won't let you in pearland. That doesn't seem right.

I own an LGI home. Take my advice please and steer clear of them. They act like they care to lure you in but then do not back any repairs you might need.

Maril Cassell

Has anyone ever used the Kentwoodhomes.net? What's the qualifying factors for lgi? Are the payments really as low as they say they are it is there other hidden fees involved?

@Anonymous

No hidden fees in the MORTGAGE payment. But the loan holder will have extra money added to the payment for mortgage insurgence, escrow/taxes and property/home insurence.

Im thinking of buying a lgi in home in sonterra thought they were really nice please tell me it's a good deal.

@diva

ohh yeah they are good its like a one stop shop to get a home cause they have many finance plans to choose from i know this is old lol

@diva

:eek you are ask Now, sorry your are to late You have been screwed big time, it will be Luke ours the electric plugs, are going bad and guess what we now toilets are leaking and it out us nearly a 1000.00 to get then fixed. ANY One You buys Front LGI will or already has been royalty Screwed, Here in Houston I feel sorry for them and for my self for being so ***. :x

@Little old lady

Would you, please, shut up?!?! Stop posting! No one understands you!

I would refrain from paying the $500 earnest money until you have been shown a home and have been approved for your mortgage loan. I am in San Antonio, Texas and I was told by John Garza, an LGI salesman who is also a Texas State Represenative,that my earnest money would be refunded should I not qualify for a mortgage loan.

I did not meet the requirements for the loan and guess what? My earnest money was not refunded. On March 1st 2012, John Garza insisted that I pay the earnest money immediately. He was so resolute on getting this earnest money that he followed me from his LGI Homes office all the way to the bank and waited outside while I purchased the $500 money order.

Then a few weeks later, John Garza quit LGI Homes and I was left out in the cold. I spoke with several sales people: Roger Villa, Marjan and a supervisor of sorts named Parker Scott all of whom promised to help. Roger Villa stated that the money was used to pay for credit repair. Yet to my knowledge no credit repair was done.

Parker Scott told me on the phone that he needed to speak to the attorneys of Houston and would call me back within the hour but never heard from him again. My emails have been ignored. Marjan said that the money was actually used "to lock in the price on the property." My question is "what property?" I hadn't been shown any property, site, or lot. At any rate everyone was telling me something different.

It seems like no one could get their story straight. LGI Homes has a form called TBD contract (to be determined contract). This form states that the earnest money will be deposited in Escrow. I don't know but how much more vague can you get than a to be determined form but I signed it because John Garza told to me, and I quote "if you don't get the financing we will refund your earnest money anyway, don't worry." I found out that a Mike Snider is the president of LGI Homes.

I tried contacting him but to no avail. These people are all the same, they lie and use high pressure tactics to have you sign all the forms at once without discussing their content or implications. I was told that the earnest money if paid immidiately would "speed up the buying proess." I am totally disgusted with LGI Homes for duping me this way. I am a 100% disabled veteran and can not afford to pay $500 for nothing.

Oh, and to the skeptic out there: I am not a realtor or competitor of LGI Homes. I am a victim and these shysters took me on a $500 ride to nowhere.

@Rene

Did your money ever get refunded?

Was this resolved as yet?

brguy1

From what I see, there are mixed reviews posted here, I must say, when I went to see the homes at Qual run in Sanger Tx. When I first spoke to LGI in June 2012, I was amazed how nice the homes looked after reading some of the Negative posts listed on this site.

I was invited to look at the homes before the Earnest money was ever mentioned. Now that it is Oct. My house is being built and the sales team has told me they needed me there more ofter to watch over the progress of the building possess, in a nut shell, I have no complaints, all of the building materials are above the standard grade, the framing of the house was built using 2x6 and 2x4 at a spacing of 16 inches apart. If LGI was trying to be cheap, they would use 2x4 scrap studs and spacing would be 24 inches apart.

They are using up to date plumbing line and insulating all of the lines for cold weather months. My home is not finished yet but from what I have seen, they are doing it right.

i had an appointment to see sterling lakes property very nice. but i want to know whats the difference between LGI Homes and other homes.

I know you can have the home built brand new with new appliances. But what are the benefits with LGI homes versus other builders??????

#520963

true but not completely true

"The staff is nice but they will NOT let you look at home unless you give them earnest money."

the first time i came in my credit was horrible!!! they told me what i needed to do to bring it up and less than 4 months my score increased by 50 points. and their help was for free. but i didn't look at any homes the first time i went.

the second time i went i did bring 500.00 BUT he took me back to look at the homes to decide on what i wanted, if i wanted anything, before i paid my money.

If they really refused to show you any homes until after you put up earnest money.. A.

the sales agents may just be lazy and bullies... you should report them to Main office and Ask if that is the Companies policy??? If so.. file a Consumer Complaint with Texas Attorney General..(Not I don't work with TAG) But as a Consumer you have rights..

Don't take any *** off companies.

Also If you get a 'bad feeling' trust your gut and walk away. There are other houses and other companies.

THANKS lGI YOU FINDLLY MADE IT, HOUSE THAT ARE STILL BEING MADE, PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM THEM ANYONE, WE, ARE 69 YR,& 78 YR, GUESS WHAT

WELLS FARGO IS FORCLOSEING ON US,ON JUNE 5 AS I GET IT WE WILL BE OUT ON THE STREET, IHAVE HEART PROBLEMS BIG TIME, THIS MY WELL KILL ME,AS MY HEATH IS BAD AND ON THE STREET DOEN'T SOUND GOOD, BUT LGI TALKED US TO IN TO BUYING A HOUSE THAT WAS OUT MEAN,AND A PAPER HOUSE AT THAT, IT ALREADY COMING A PART AND THE ELECTIC CO THEY ALREADY HAD FIRES FRON THE WIRING, :( JUST MAKE YOU THING YOU ARE ANY DIFFERENT FROM ME OR MY HUSBAND, DO NOT THING IT CAN NOT HAPPEN TO ME WRONG IT CAN, AND THERE ON WANT TO HELP YOU. JUST GOD CAN :cry

they lie so very good, be ware as you are buying fron LGI and some were you will be sorry, the house or not built, very good and in a year or less you will be putting more in the house, by then you will want to sell it, :zzz do not beleave them.

Nicky Jo

so Im thinking STRONGLY of going to LGI...Im a first time buyer and it will just be me and my two toddlers living there.I want to live in Sterling Lakes.My heart is leaning towards the COLORADO floor plan! What should I expect.I dont want to beleive all these bad experiences from people but everyones experience is DIFFERENT some good some are bad.FIRM believer or TWO sides to EVERY story!

Do u really not get the homes for the low price they advertise like 679mnthly? Let me know the 4-1-1 please!

@Nicky Jo

Went out to view LGI homes today. No you will not get your home for 679 a month.

That price is before taxes are added in. You will probably be looking at over 1000 a month depending on the tax rate where you are.

We were not required to pay $500 earnest money to look at homes. My husband & I were treated respectfully & didn't feel pressured into doing paper work today.

@Nicky Jo

Please Please.. READ.

From first hand experience. I worked with LGI homes for a month now. And yes they prey on the weak and lower class americans who work long and hard for their money.They preach zero down low monthly payments. I recieved an flyer at my apartment anfd set up a viewing.

It all true, they will ask to pull your credit and also ask for the earnest money up front. Come on people were better than them. Say no. How can you sell a house later on in life by lgi in a neighborhood full for forclocusres because there put people in houses they cant afford and that are way over priced.

View their older neighborhoods first see how run down the area is and poor constructions are holding up. Do your research on the land alos. Foundation is everything. Cracked wall and foundation will cost you $$$$$.

Dont buy into Rogers BS. HEs good.

Family man and all. IS all BS Run from lucky ranch.