Rosenberg, Texas
2.4K views

My family of four has lived in our LGI home for 3 years now. Our experience has been good. The home is well built and has been ease to maintain. Really no repairs yet for me to do, just upgrades to fixtures, lighting, paint, etc.

We did have a broken drain pipe between the first and second floor when we moved in. I took a couple days to get all the work done for repair. They said the plumbers installed correctly and the pipe was likely broken after install by the sheetrock crew. The pipe was replaced the day after the complaint. The sheetrock repair/paint was done the day after that. This was the drain pipe for the washing machine and must not have been tested. I recommend you test all drains before move in.

A few weeks after the 1yr warranty ended, we noticed the door sweep was in poor condition and beginning to come apart. (Back door) I called in, one of the guys from their crew came in the same day, said the door was slightly misaligned causing extra pressure on the sweep/seal. The door was realigned and sweep replaced within a couple days of diagnoses.

There signs for payment amount is misleading. I knew this going in, and the disclaimer is on their website. The price per month they advertise is for the cheapest/smallest home, and is mortgage only. Your real payment will include mortgage plus numerous fees for taxes and insurance (escrow). Make sure you know the real cost of living in a house before you buy one. Talk to any lender and get the low down on the real expected payment.

Also, they say they will pay for closing and other fees for you. This is not true of course. They simply included these costs in the listed price of the homes. This allows you to easily finance all the costs into the mortgage, great for folks with little cash on hand. If you consider the approx amount of closing costs and subtract that out, I found the pricing per sq foot to be very competitive for the quality and features in their homes. Note: LGI does not negotiate, at all. The price is the price. If the numbers look good, go for it, if not, forget about it.

Also, understand the purpose of the 500 dollar earnest payment. Every builder has this. It is basically a payment you make to take the house off the market so you can begin the actual buying process. If you get the house, it goes toward the sell or is refunded. If you don’t buy, they take it to recoup looses from you holding up the sell. The contracts you sign with almost anybody involving earnest money basically make it so there is no situation, other than buying the home, that requires them to repay it. If the sell falls through, it is really their discretion where you get it back or not. When I was shopping, 500 dollars was actually pretty cheap, especially when compared to builders that let you customize features.

Conclusion…

We like are home. The price, features and quality were all well inline. No regrets on the purchase.

Comments